Monday 20 June 2016

Unity in Diversity (poem)



Here I am in my pretty house,
Thinking of differences between a possum and a mouse;
One animal, so different from the other,
Yet so similar like kin and brother.

And then I wonder,
"What's more striking?"
Their difference or similarity,
Their diversity or unity?

I look around my neighbourhood,
People are so good;
Some speak Marathi, some Punjabi,
Some Bengali, and I speak Hindi;
Like multicoloured gems in a bag,
All saluting the same tricolour flag.

Doctor, engineer, scientist and farmer,
All of them are knights in shining armour;
Holi, Eid, Christmas and Rakshabandhan,
Celebrating them all, makes us Indian!

Like moles, tigers, elephants and zebras,
Show nature's biodiversity;
Hindu, Muslim, Sikh and Christian,
Show India's rich diversity.

They say India stands for secularity and sovereignty,
I say we stand for unity in diversity!

~ Anoushka Sabnis

No comments:

Post a Comment

What peace means to me

What peace means to me - Is a world with smiles and glee! No wars or terrorist attacks, Or stolen goods in sacks. Friends...